July 1, 2009
Leah Guloien and Nic Hamilton take silver at Yaletown Grand Prix
by Terry Bell, The Province
The ZegnaSport Yaletown Grand Prix was held on an exciting 900 metre, 6-corner course in downtown Vancouver on Canada Day Wednesday, July 1.
William Routley (Jelly Belly Pro Cyling Team) won the men's 65-min race, while recently crowned women's 2009 National RR champ Alison Testroete
(Total Restoration) was the elite women's 45-min race winner. Testroete out-sprinted runner-up Leah Guloien of the Trek Red Truck Racing team and
third-place finisher Lisa Howard of Vancouver, who rides for team dEVa, to win her race.
Will Routley out-sprinted Nic Hamilton of Trek Red Truck Racing to take the men's event.
"Nationals was upsetting," said Routley, who finished sixth in the time trial in Quebec and 27th in the road race. .
Routley, the lone member of the California-based Jelly Belly team and Trek Red Truck's Hamilton got off by themselves on an early break and lapped
the 51 rider field by the halfway point. The only question was how long Hamilton, 22, and in just his third year of riding, could stay with the
more experienced Routley.
Hamilton hung on Routley's wheel all night before Routley pulled away with less than 100 metres to go.
"With my training I've improved my sprinting a little bit," said Routley. "I'm a tall, skinny guy but I have enough of a kick in me that I feel
I can do it in a small group. "But Nic's a super strong rider. He's coming on strong."
In February, Hamilton went to California to train with the Red Truck Team. Routley took him under his wing and found him a place to stay.
"On the bike, off the bike, I really look up to him," said Hamilton. "This is my best finish. I've won a couple of Category 2 races but nothing of
this calibre." Nic recently finished on the podium in last month's Banff Bike Fest.
Pro 1/2/3 Women
Results (top 12)
- Alison Testroete (Total Restoration)
- Leah Guloien (Trek Red Truck)
- Lisa Howard (deVa)
- Amy Herlinveaux (Trek Red Truck Racing Team)
- Laura Brown (Local Ride Racing)
- Stephanie Ossenbrink (Glotman Simpson Racing)
- Moriah MacGregor (Team Glotman Simpson Racing)
- Nike Beckeringh (WTC de Amstel)
- Rachel Mcbride (Glotman Simpson)
- Gillian Moody (Total Restoration)
- Kristine Brynjolfson (Westwood Cycle/Cannondale p/b Vision Spo)
- Naomi Cooper (dEVo)
Pro 1/2 Men
- William Routley (Jelly Belly Pro Cycling Team)
- Nic Hamilton (Trek Red Truck Racing)
- Mike Sidic (Garneau Evolution)
- Andrew Pinfold (Trek Red Truck Racing)
- Justin Kerr (Liquid Fitness)
- Tyler Trace (Trek Red Truck Racing)
- Ryan Anderson (Kelly Benefit Strategies)
- Adam Thruss (Trek Red Truck Racing)
- Scott Laliberte (Westwood Cycle/Cannondale)
- Dave Vukets (Trek Red Truck Racing)
- Tim Abercrombie (Garneau Evolution)
- Marcel Aarden (H&R Block - Kona}